Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Eagles move on from PA maestro Dan Baker

Dan Baker, the voice of Eagles home games since 1985, is  being replaced.
Dan Baker.

The 67-year-old public address announcer, whose voice comforted a generation of Eagles fans was told last week by team president Don Smolenski management wanted to go “in a different direction.


"He said it wasn’t an easy thing for him to do and that they were very appreciative of my professionalism and dedication and service but that they just felt they needed to move in a new direction and that the in-stadium presentation is changing,” Baker said. “This isn’t my choice of course. But I’m grateful for the opportunity. I truly am grateful to Mr. Lurie and the Eagles and especially the fans for this great opportunity. I’ve loved every minute of it. I’ve put every ounce of energy I had into every game, every play. And I think that came across. I hope it did.”

The Eagles say they’ve begun a search for a new public address announcer with an unspecified outside agency. They’re recognizing Baker at their Sept. 7 home and season opener against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Baker remains public address announcer of the Phillies, a post he’s held since 1972. Topping his greatest memories in that role is doing the  Phillies’ 1980 and 2008 World Series championship games at Veterans Stadium and Citizens Bank Park, respectively.
 

“I  feel as if I’ve got a lot a lot left,” Baker said. “This is just, I guess a change of flavors which again, ownership and management is entitled to do. I’ve had so much good fortune. I’ve had some great jobs. I have a great family. I have a great life. Maybe a little bit less enjoyable not doing the Eagles because I loved announcing Eagles games. But I still have so many other blessings it’s hard for me to complain.”
 


Follow @bobgrotz on Twitter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home