Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How Bowles found out he was Eagles defensive coordinator

Interim Eagles defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
Todd Bowles agreed to become the Eagles' interim defensive coordinator before an early Tuesday breakfast.

 "I just got off the treadmill and went in the cafeteria," Bowles said. "It’s my morning ritual. I get here about 5:30 and I’ll work out with Coach (Duce) Staley and Coach (Mike) Caldwell. Then I’ll go get something to eat. He called me up (to his office) and that’s when I found out.”

For Bowles, it was less dramatic than taking over as interim head coach of the Dolphins when they canned Tony Sparano last season. Reid told Bowles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo was finished. Bowles told Reid he was in.

"He said he's going to go with his gut and he felt it was the right thing to do," Bowles said. "I sat in his seat for three games last year and being a head coach is not easy. You’ve got to make unpopular decisions at the time and hope they become popular. It’s no different than everybody else that has to make decisions when you’re in that seat. You’ve got to make that call.
"That was a call he made, and I don’t think he had any help from anybody. It’s just something that he told me."

Follow @BobGrotz on Twitter.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home