Monday, April 23, 2012

Dawkins to retire an Eagle

Dawkins ... when Eagles were winning playoff games.
Brian Dawkins announced his retirement Monday on Twitter (@BrianDawkins).

Makes sense. The man loathed formal press conferences.

But he will do one later this week.

And at that time, Dawkins will confirm what he and his agent have discussed with the Eagles in recent weeks ... he will retire an Eagle, not a Bronco, whose  uniform he finished his 16-year career in. Dawkins is leaning heavily in that direction according to a source.

All Dawkins must do is take care of the retirement paperwork, including any related medical issues, and sign a one-day contract with the Eagles.

The Eagles plan to honor Dawkins at a game this season.

Here's Dawkins' career-ending Tweet:

"The Lord has blessed me to play on three NFL 16 years. I would like 2 thank the Eagles and the Broncos 4 believing in me. I would like 2 thank all my teammates & Coaches I've been blessed 2 go 2 battle with.

"Along with u, the fans 4 helping make my career 1 that i have enjoyed tremendously. In other words. I am announcing my retirement from the NFL. #BBT"

The 38-year-old Dawkins had 37 career interceptions.

Tweets from Dawkins' former teammates began filling the stratosphere.

Former Eagles defensive tackle Hugh Douglas:
@Bighugh53 @BrianDawkins man! It was a true honor playing with you.. I love you like a brother you taught me a lot ..

Follow @Bob Grotz on Twitter.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home