Monday, December 10, 2012

Mudd: 'Nothing better than this one'

Sunrise in Tampa after Eagles win over Bucs.
Eagles offensive line coach Howard Mudd has said this, his 38th year in the NFL, will be his last.

The 70-year-old Mudd is beginning to feel separation anxiety.

After Nick Foles fired the triumphant  touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin as time expired Sunday, Mudd grabbed his aching hip and hobbling, willed himself over to Reid, giving the boss who just ended an eight-game losing streak a bear hug.

"I was so happy for him," Mudd said. "That was as good a hug as I've had in a long time. It was awesome."

While the guys embraced, another old-timer, referee Ron Winter reviewed the scoring play. Maclin's left leg was close to the line.

"I had an angle," Mudd said. "Unless it bobbled out of his hands or something, I could see him. The angle I had way down there, I was pretty sure."

Mudd's second year with the Eagles is three games from concluding. He shared some of the emotion with right guard Jake Scott, who he coached with the Colts. They've celebrated some difficult yet  impressive victories

"Jake and I have been through some wins in Indianapolis," Mudd said, his voice betraying his sentimental side. "There's nothing better than this one."

Follow @BobGrotz on Twitter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home