Monday, August 18, 2014

LeSean McCoy has turf toe

LeSean McCoy returned to practice Monday after sitting out the previous session with a mild case of turf toe.

McCoy said X-rays and MRIs of the left big toe were negative and his playing time would depend on his pain threshold.

“I feel like if I hurt it too much I’ll shut it down,” McCoy said. “But I warmed today and it felt good. I could feel it still but I could push through it. In this league you have to learn how to play with pain.”

The toe became an issue during practice last week with the Patriots. McCoy made a cameo in the preseason game against the Patriots Friday night.

“It was really bothering me,” McCoy said. “During the game it kind of was real, real sore … and a couple days before that. I was trying to play through that. Yesterday it really was hurting pretty bad. It’s fine. I felt a little bit better today so I went for it.  And I actually pushed through practice. I don’t know what I did as far as my reps and my workload today. But I was kind of getting into it. I started warming up. And I need to work anyway so I just pushed through practice.”

Among key players, wide receivers Jeremy Maclin (knee, hamstring) and Riley Cooper (foot) participated in the open phase of practice but were limited in team reps.

Running back Chris Polk (hamstring) did not practice. He hasn’t worked since the beginning of camp.

Polk’s absence has opened the door for undrafted rookie Henry Josey, who had eight rushes for 56 yards and caught a 27-yard scoring pass from Matt Barkley in the 42-35 preseason loss to the New England Patriots.

“Henry got more than his share of reps,” offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur said. “And he made the most of it.”

Wide receiver Damaris Johnson also benefitted from Polk’s absence as he also played running back in the second preseason game.

“Damaris, heck he played three different positions for us,” Shurmur said. “That’s a huge thing for a guy.”

Johnson caught three passes, including a five-yard touchdown from Mark Sanchez and had seven rushes for 14 yards. Johnson also averaged 6.3 yards on three punt returns and returned a kickoff 27 yards.

Follow @bobgrotz on Twitter

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home